Thursday, September 15, 2005

Look, there is a road between those potholes!

This is almost the third month running in which my bike has suffered the misery of its life. It is crying out loud for a break. The Pune roads are killing it and I can do nothing.
During my college days, I have experienced something similar and I had to cremate my bike after 4 years. At that time I thought that one of the major advantages of getting out of the college is that I and my new bike will never suffer from roads which are not roads at all. But now it has got even worse. When in college, only a single patch of my drive-way fell in the category of non-roads. Now the patch extends roughly from my home to office, which is 11Kms.

The hike in petrol prices could not have come at a better time and along with the Pune’s non-roads (which are making the mechanic near my house richer by minute) it form a perfect recipe for making me bankrupt. The major problem however comes when there is a female driver in front of u. With the god-gifted skills of driving and the pot-holes in front of them, they can frustrate the hell out of even the most patient guy on earth.

Now that I think about it, there is a valid reason for why the government is not making really good roads which will not be swept away with a rainy season. If they do this then they will face so much difficulty in doing one work which they do … digging the roads.

On a bit of serious note, these roads are making Pune lose some serious business. This Forbes guy has written an almost perfect letter summarizing the appalling state of the non-roads.

Then there are guys who say that you should protest against such things. There are 2 points which I have against this. One : Do such kind of protests really help. I have never seen such protests really solving any issues. If there has to be a protest then it has to be across the whole city. Two : Why do we always have to protest to get such basic things. The problem has to be addressed at its root and one way of doing is making government people responsible for stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Solution to all our problems. WE SHOULD HAVE ELECTIONS EVERY YEAR :)